Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Different Kind of Controlled Vocabularies

I think that there are several kind of controlled vocabulary are exiting, e.g. , (thesauruses, Ontologies, Subject Schema, Catalogs). These vocabularies play an important role for information communications sytems, Library systems.

Thesaurus : It uses library science and knowledge organization systems

Subject Schema: It mainly uses in text categorization or document annotations.

Catalogs : Library science + Entertainment industry

All of these use for searching, information extraction etc.

In the past , mainly library science people used controlled vocabulary. After coming to Ontology, people understand need of controlled vocabularies for commercial or research purpose. There is major problem of universal controlled vocabularies. There is no universal Controlled Vocabularies for any specific domain. I must say that we need it very soon. Specially, Medical science , or Agriculture science or Other specific fields. I keep my finger cross for universal Controlled Vocabulary.

As I am researcher on this field, I looking forward a concrete research or volunteer work on it .

No comments: