Saturday, May 28, 2011

The life cycle of AGROVOC LOD and My experiences


A very few people can see the future vision. One of them is our supervisor. It was his dream to publish the AGROVOC linked data. After my PhD, I went to Malaysia with the AGROVOC team where we decided to make AGROVOC owl to SKOS-XL. After a long discussion with Thomas Baker (an expert in SKOS) and Armando (my colleague from Rome), we started to map the owl properties for the SKOS version. It was a successful workshop at MIMOS, Malaysia. We all came back to Rome. Armando started to work on this conversion process since he was an expert on it. After a couple months, we were ready to run the conversion process. The conversion had been running for 15 days but we did not get any results. It was a night mare situation. After nearly one month, our server had crashed and we got no results.

Suddenly, Sachit turned off the reasoner and we got this conversion results by 1 hour. It was so amazing moment that we could not express ourself.

We had a SKOS file. we did not have any mappings with other thesauri. One day my supervisor returned from Luxembourg and he told me and Gudrun Johannsen "we have to do something". I took the words very seriously and started mapping between different resources. At the beginning we published 20,000 mapping links with the AGROVOC. At last the final day came to publish the LOD. You can find the news in here

http://aims.fao.org/news/agrovoc-thesaurus-released-linked-open-data

This is one of my big baby in my career after my PhD. I am very proud of the member of this LOD activities. Now, we are the largest and first Agriculture Linked Open Data in the World. ..

"When I close my eyes, i could see the AGROVOC links moving here and there" .......



No comments: